The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shower tile paint

3 posters

Go down

Shower tile paint Empty Shower tile paint

Post by Hazy Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:31 am

Rather than retile my bathroom and shower I want to paint the tiles. I know it is possible to get special paint in the UK for this - has anyone found similar in Ascoli Piceno/San Benedetto area and used it with good results?
Appreciate any advice Very Happy

Hazy
Elder

Back to top Go down

Shower tile paint Empty Re: Shower tile paint

Post by Flip Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Have used Tile paint before and always had disastrous results; paint peeling streaking, naff finish and dont get me started on the grouting. Would recommend shell out for new tiles. Leave the old ones in place and just tile over, have done this with big tiles and results very good and works out quite reasonable if you don't go mad and have hand made luxury jobbies.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:43 pm

I would tend to agree with Flip and particularly if we are talking about shower and tiles because of their exposure to humidity. If you wish to give it a try, I would suggest to use white paint because you would not notice the grouting. You could do some colour details using the same type of paint and some stencils. You will find this type of paint at large hardware shops such as Leroy Merlin http://www.leroymerlin.it/prodotti/smalti-per-termosifoni,-piastrelle-e-ritocchi-CAT962-c?active_filters=FRULE61160
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazy Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:49 am

Thanks, Gala - the fount of all knowledge!

Hazy
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:30 am

The voice of experience... Razz
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:45 am

If you google " paint bathroom tiles" or "dipingere piastrelle bagno" you will find plenty of of advicee and information, including videos. To decorate individual tiles, you can use stencils and also natural sponges in a contrasting colour. Preparing and cleaning the surface thoroughly is the key.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:17 am

One of the biggest problems we found was trying to clean the damn things when painted and inevitably you will scratch the surface, which then lets water, dirt and whatever in. Do yourself a favour Hazy, don't bother as re-tiling is a far better and longer lasting option but if you're determined to paint then I would suggest a hard assed paint akin to Hammerite.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:58 am

Or an extra coat and retouch immediately any scratches. This is why I recommended the use of white. Surface preparation, as I said before, is the key. And, as Flip says, retiling is the practical, long-lasting solution.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum