The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cat Tracker Homing Device

5 posters

Go down

Cat Tracker Homing Device Empty Cat Tracker Homing Device

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 am

Cat Tracker Homing Device
A cat tracker and homing device to ensure your cat doesn't get lost.
loc8tor.com
I thought the above may be of interest.  My 2 cats do not wear collars and I was hoping to find a microchip that could be inplanted that had a homing device in it.....Has anyone found such a thing ?  Any info appreciated.
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Cat Tracker Homing Device Empty Re: Cat Tracker Homing Device

Post by modicasa Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:59 am

In my experience cats dont get lost. They go on holiday.  

A homing device would require a transmitter, battery pack etc - more than the Ryanair baggage allowance, which would make for an unhappy cat.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:25 am

Angela Fuller wrote:Cat Tracker Homing DeviceA cat tracker and homing device to ensure your cat doesn't get lost.loc8tor.comI thought the above may be of interest.  My 2 cats do not wear collars and I was hoping to find a microchip that could be inplanted that had a homing device in it.....Has anyone found such a thing ?  Any info appreciated.

I've no idea, but was interested to see if such a thing would be around and if not, why not! I'm sure the technology must be available, but perhaps cost or impracticable or even impossible for under the skin tracking to be made? This LINK seems to indicate micro chips are not around yet. Think the link by Angela may fail due to some BottomBook problem, so this is a direct link to the Loc8tor SITE

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:40 pm

Thx Steve...Modi have you looked at the site...the off putting thing was the price  !  The person on another site who told peeps about it had a blind cat and she / they would carry the cat...in a baby carrier to a safe place and then put it down to sniff and play on the grass. 

I used to look after 2 cats in the UK who both had microchips to allow only them through the catflap, not the other neighbouring lot...so maybe there is hope forthe future ?
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:02 am

The above company also sell a tracker for dogs........
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:12 am

But it only works up to 100m - so you can find a cat thats hiding in a wardrobe and thats about it.  And nobody knows how annoying it is for the cat that has a transmitter next to its ear.

modicasa
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:20 am

As I said Modicasa, I was looking for a microchip homing device but could see that this device could be useful to some.....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:01 am

I wasnt being picky!  But on wildlife docs and stuff when they strap on tracking devices to various wild animals they are pretty lumpy with a blooming great antenna sticking out of them.   The microchips for catflaps are great, but the cat flap has the power supply and the chip is just the trigger, so its a different technology.  I think homing/tracking devices that will find Tiddles if she climbs in bus going to St Albans are a way off yet....  Perhaps apple will invent one that works with your iphone - suitable names to patent on a postcard please....

modicasa
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:20 am

An old neighbour of ours had the best Cat homing device I've ever seen, she used to open the back door and rattle a fork in a Whiskas tin; within 2 minutes both her cats would be in the kitchen.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:05 am

modicasa wrote:I wasnt being picky!  But on wildlife docs and stuff when they strap on tracking devices to various wild animals they are pretty lumpy with a blooming great antenna sticking out of them.   The microchips for catflaps are great, but the cat flap has the power supply and the chip is just the trigger, so its a different technology.  I think homing/tracking devices that will find Tiddles if she climbs in bus going to St Albans are a way off yet....  Perhaps apple will invent one that works with your iphone - suitable names to patent on a postcard please....

Whilst I agree that it seems practical devices for cats are not available as yet, it would seem there are a numer already around. Try a search for "smallest gps tracking device for pets" and a number of results are there... I really can't understand why some enterprising person has not come up with a small device that simply piggy-backs on to any wifi connection that the animal is around and sends a location back to the owners IP device in their house?

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:21 pm

I'm looking into these tracking devices for another reason, and this one (only for iphone - I think there is another called TrackR) is small enough to attach to a cat's collar. 

https://www.thetileapp.com/how-it-works

The clever stuff (which isn't yet implemented, but shouldn't pose too great a challenge) is that you can 'crowd source' location data from these 'tiles', so in theory the rather small (100ft diameter) range can be overcome, at least in a populated urban environment. No doubt the range will get bigger, and the 'tiles' will get smaller.

At the moment I think that my cats have hearing which can detect the opening of my fridge from far more than 50 ft away! (Sorry about the feet, but the device is American  Mad )
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:31 am

The Original Relaxed wrote:I'm looking into these tracking devices for another reason, and this one (only for iphone - I think there is another called TrackR) is small enough to attach to a cat's collar. https://www.thetileapp.com/how-it-worksThe clever stuff (which isn't yet implemented, but shouldn't pose too great a challenge) is that you can 'crowd source' location data from these 'tiles', so in theory the rather small (100ft diameter) range can be overcome, at least in a populated urban environment. No doubt the range will get bigger, and the 'tiles' will get smaller.

At the moment I think that my cats have hearing which can detect the opening of my fridge from far more than 50 ft away! (Sorry about the feet, but the device is American  Mad )

Well it's about the right size and the same type of concept. I'm sure some enterprising person could develop this "Tile" device and App to do just what I was suggesting, then kitty could be stuck in front of the phone, or even within the 100m, then send a message to the IP address in his/her "Tile" with the location - easy! Wink

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum