The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wild bird identification

3 posters

Go down

Wild bird identification Empty Wild bird identification

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:23 am

Something we have found time to do whilst in Italy (and in the UK) is watch and try to identify different types of birds. These are a couple of sites that helped us and might help others.

RSPB Identification

XENO Call LINK

Obviously the first is a UK site, but lots there are in fact European birds. I've found it limited unless sure of the size differences, but does narrow down the search. The second I've used to narrow it further and found between the two that most can be identified. I also use this to remind me what that little bird calling is when I forget (which is often). Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Wild bird identification Empty Re: Wild bird identification

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:45 pm

This is a very helpful link for all kinds of native fauna http://www.animaliitaliani.com/uccelli.htm
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:29 am

Nice posting Steve....I do fill the bird feeders (mainly winter time) as summer time they forage elsewhere.  I do get hrs of pleasure seeing the birds come to feed, mainly tits, finches and nuthatches plus a few others.....Some are very choosey and throw what they dont want onto the ground but that too is good for the ground feeding birds.  I have fitted plastic plant saucers to some feeders to catch the discarded seed as otherwise I would be re-filling every day...V greedy birds !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:05 am

Interestingly your post Angela reminded me I had seen something recently about feeding birds all year around. I'd always thought you should only do so in winter, however your prompt made me google it and woe and behold the BBC Nature says only winter, but the RSPB says feed some all year around! In winter we get those you mention along with others; many Redstarts, Robins and even more finches of all kinds, along with birds I had never seen in the UK; Twite, Blackcap and Whitethroat. Still only ever seen 3 Blackbirds and never a Thrush in Italy.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:23 am

Yes Steve, I have read all sorts....dont stop feeding birds in the summer....do stop feeding them in the summer so I tend to only fill one feeder in the summer and have few takers...I.see very few blackbirds here but do hear their song, as for thrushes....something gives the snails a good hammering, could it be them ? once we did have a perigrine staring at us from a hole in an oaktree,OH thought it was an owl....how daft is he !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum