The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bugs in the Cupboard

5 posters

Go down

Bugs in the Cupboard Empty Bugs in the Cupboard

Post by ghiro Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:52 pm

So we open the cupboard in the bedroom and find there are 2 nests right at the top.  One on the left and one on the right.

They're white.  Cylindrical, about 1.5cm long with a narrow opening (wish I could show you a photo! Sad ).

So I sprayed them (twice) with 'Raid Multi-Insetto Killer' (Azione Rapida!).  Confident they were stunned, if not dead, I donned my gloves and knocked the nests down.

It turns out that there are segmented bugs in the nests, each about 1cm long.  Some are claret/red and others are mustard/yellow.

Does anyone know what these bugs are/or what they will eventually become? Question

Last edited by ghiro on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!)
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Bugs in the Cupboard Empty Re: Bugs in the Cupboard

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:31 am

Could it be a type of spider ?   Spiders nests I think, are normally made out of web so are soft and white, like cotton wool, If it was rock hard probably some sort of flying insect...?

Last edited by Angela Fuller on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:33 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Repetition of normally)
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Relaxed Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:40 am

Have a look at google images for paper wasp nests, might be those. Paper wasps aren't nasty! 
Otherwise, there is the potter wasp nest - I  see many of these, they're like delicate terracotta pots. Mine are always earth colour, but looking at the images some of them are quite white. Again they're a pretty friendly  non aggressive wasp.
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:19 am

The Original Relaxed wrote:Have a look at google images for paper wasp nests, might be those. Paper wasps aren't nasty! Otherwise, there is the potter wasp nest - I  see many of these, they're like delicate terracotta pots. Mine are always earth colour, but looking at the images some of them are quite white. Again they're a pretty friendly  non aggressive wasp.

I would go for the latter, they create the clay/mud pots and put spiders in them for their egg they put in there. Normally their favourite  spider is green, but it could be yours like some red spider...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:44 am

Image of mud dauber type of which I've see here... and paper wasp nest

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.  Very much appreciated.

On the basis of your, and my, research the most likely answer is.....................potter wasps. Smile Smile 

Never heard of them, let alone met them, before!
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:32 pm

ghiro wrote:Thanks for all your help and suggestions.  Very much appreciated.On the basis of your, and my, research the most likely answer is.....................potter wasps. Smile Smile Never heard of them, let alone met them, before!

They seem to manage finding the most oddest of places and in no time building their little mausoleums. Sure O/Relaxed would say my nerd tendencies come into play as I examined these after having instructions to remove them from between the outside shutters and the mozzie net! There were loads of spiders in each of the perfect little pots... some still moving.. Fascinating, but not what you really want in or around the house .... pale

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:41 pm

.. well if they are consistent, then This LINK would indicate we at least had mud daubers. Ghiro do I dare ask if you spotted what was in the box.. spiders or caterpillars... Of course if the egg has hatched there will also be a grub... ! Creepy... Just as well you spotted them, as was the case with the OH, but not for me of course...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:39 am

Ghiro, I would not be very worried about wasps of any kind although I am alergic to their bite,. On the other hand, as you found the nests inside the cupboard, I would be very worried about any of these: xylofagous. Also check through Google "insetti legno nidi". Plenty of photos.In that case, call the pest control people.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum