The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damp and Paint

5 posters

Go down

Damp and Paint Empty Damp and Paint

Post by Vicino Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:17 am

Does anyone know what type of paint I should use on a damp wall, is there a particular paint here in Italy that I should use? Most of the paints I have seen are water based ?

Thanks in advance,

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Damp and Paint Empty Re: Damp and Paint

Post by Admin Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:30 am

My husband had a damp-proofing company in the UK and I know what he'll say - no paint will ultimately work on a damp wall. You need to resolve the damp. However, he would recommend a paint that breathes i.e. lime-based which most paints are here. Some people will say paint over the damp with PVA and then pain over that but the PVA will just peel off again. You should remve all peeling paint and unsound plaster before painting or it will just peel off again pretty quickly.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:24 pm

I asked my husband (retired architect) and his answer confirms the above. Any paint applied over a damp surface will peel off. You have to investigate what causes the damp and solve the problem before attempting to repaint the area.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by mozza Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:04 pm

I have damp underground room and would like to know which is the best paint to use.
Also what and where to place vents etc. Any advice would be welcome

mozza
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:29 am

Mozza, any room below ground level will always be damp especially in winter, there are basically two options to obtain a relatively damp free room ; firstly 'tanking' where a new thickness of waterproofed plaster is applied to all walls or secondly to install a 'skin' whereby you baton the old wall and affix Waterproofed Boards (like they use in shower rooms) or laminated panels. Good luck with anything you try but painting will just peel off.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:13 pm

Mozza, as Flip says and also as it has been previously advised, paint is not an option, it will be a waste of time and money. Here is some further information on tanking and damp proofing http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/tanking.htm
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by mozza Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:39 pm

Thank you for that guys. Will see what I can do now

mozza
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content