The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOLY WEEK 2014 IN ITALY

4 posters

Go down

HOLY WEEK 2014 IN ITALY Empty HOLY WEEK 2014 IN ITALY

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:40 am

The Holy Week is an important period in Italy's calendar. Actually, I am a bit late as it started a couple of days ago with Palm Sunday, but... better late than never. 
There are plenty of ceremonies and events in every town and village and you do not need to be a Catholic or even a believer to attend. In the spirit of Pope Francis, everyone is welcome.
I found this interesting blog and post about Easter 2014 Florence
And if you are in Rome, there are plenty of ceremonies to be attended, but you will also find them everywhere.
Enjoy! Very Happy
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

HOLY WEEK 2014 IN ITALY Empty Re: HOLY WEEK 2014 IN ITALY

Post by Flip Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:37 am

Although it was Palm Sunday, where in the UK kids get palm fronds folded into a cross; in Italy everyone gets an Olive branch that has been blessed; I wonder why the difference.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:26 am

Palms are more difficult to come by here, but there are loads of olives and they use them for everything else! In the UK, well there is neither and it's likely the cheapest to import!!!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:43 am

Here we get plaited palms and Bordighera has the honour of providing the palms for Palm Sunday celebrations at the Vatican every year. You can see what they send here
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:15 am

I agree with Steve's explanation, Flip. Some areas haven't got palm trees and olive trees or other type of greeneries are widely available. Italy and Spain sell a lot of weaved palms overseas and Latin American countries are also producing them for export; however, they aren not cheap. You can bring your own palm or branch to be blessed or you can collect one at your nearest church. My lovely neighbour always keeps one for us in Bagni. It is traditional to keep the palm or branch in a prominent place at home for the whole year. Sometimes you can see them hanging from balconies or above the entrance door.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum