The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Credit Card

+2
stevegwmonkseaton
ghiro
6 posters

Go down

Best Credit Card Empty Best Credit Card

Post by ghiro Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:34 pm

If you live in the UK and travel to Italy I would recommend you apply for the Halifax Clarity Credit Card. It's not only as good as cash. It's better!* Very Happy

The 2 most important things about this Credit Card are:
1) There is no (ie zero) fee for using it abroad (typically 2.99% with other cards)
and
2) Your transactions are charged at the full 'inter-bank rate' (ie not tourist rate). So, if the inter-bank rate is £/€ 1.175, that's the rate that's used to convert your foreign currency transaction on your statement.

Here's the link: http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/low-rate-no-fee/clarity-card/

Go for it! Every little helps and you know you're worth it! Smile

*Normally you can't move cash from the UK to Italy at the full inter-bank rate. However I've found a way (watch this space!).
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Best Credit Card Empty Re: Best Credit Card

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:26 pm

.. well I'm watching as we almost live here in Italy and often transfer ... currently use currencyfair and still not found anything as good...CFair

Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:41 pm

I know that is a credit card, but what about the Nationwide flexaccount card, that is £10 a month, with the same no charge, and travel insurance included, plus a few more extras?

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/flexplus/default.htm
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:20 pm

There's lots of options out there. The secret is to choose the one that's best for you.
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by L'uomodellaluna Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:04 pm

If you're over 50, Saga have a visa debit card, similar to the Halifax one above.

I know I don't look that old!
L'uomodellaluna
L'uomodellaluna
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by la alma Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:25 pm

I've got a Nationwide Flexaccount debit and Nationwide credit card with all the perks, but I dont pay £10 a month. They are both free. Is the charge for new customers?

la alma
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:39 am

la alma wrote:I've got a Nationwide Flexaccount debit and Nationwide credit card with all the perks, but I dont pay £10 a month. They are both free. Is the charge for new customers?

Hi.

From what I can see and I have a normal flexaccount debit card, but not the credit card. With the Flexaccount debit (free), you pay for withdrawing money from ATM's in the EU as a %, plus a £1 charge. Purchases just save the £1.
Because we live here, then these charges can be more than the £10 a month. Just checked on the normal Flex statement and one withdrawal of Euro250, cost just over £5.

Hope this helps.
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:45 pm

We opened a joint Nationwide Flexplus account as someone recommended it on the 'other' place.  Very pleased with it so far.  Lots of extras including breakdown insurance which gives European cover for six months as well as UK home start cover for both of us.   This made it very cost-effective even accounting for the £10 a month charge.  In addition you get quite a high rate of interest on up to a certain amount which brings down the monthly charge even further.  Sorry, I can't remember the exact figures and internet not good enough to research at present.

Not put much to the test yet, but on the face of it looks a very good deal and have found them very good to deal with.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum