The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weather

+8
la alma
L'uomodellaluna
Carciofo
molinello
Gala Placidia
Vicino
stevegwmonkseaton
Flip
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Weather  Empty Weather

Post by Casa Monal Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:34 pm

I’ve been meaning to post for days, just not enough hours in a day Exclamation 
We’ve been keeping up to date with the weather. Seems the worst is over, fingers crossed.  Our friends in Pigna know people who have a house in Castel Vittorio that have lost everything. They woke up at 5 a.m. to a big noise, and found their kitchen full of water and then that side of the house slipped down the mountain. Fortunately they managed to get out on time but they’ve lost everything.

Hope everyone is ok.  Admin? La Docle?

Link to news video

Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Weather  Empty Re: Weather

Post by Flip Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Yes there has been mega damage caused in most regions due to the heavy, persistent rain we have had of late. In this region (Northern Tuscany) there have been quite a few cases of large Frana that have washed away house, roads and parts of villages.
A timely reminder to ensure we all have decent Insurance Cover on ones House.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:05 pm

Wow! Did not realise it had been so bad in some places. Reports we have had from friends in Abruzzo is that the weather has been superb - 20c the other day when I looked on the web...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:13 am

It's been pretty bad with Castel Vittorio the worst affected. They were completely cut off and could only get out since Tuesday. My daughter's teacher's car got washed away. My OH is going up to the farm today to survey the damage assuming the road is passable.
The road to Langan (from Pigna) has completely washed away. There was a big derailment near Albenga which means there are no trains between Ventimiglia and Savona and not likely to be for at least a month. The derailment is particularly scary as the railway is next to a sheer drop into the sea so I imagine it was pretty terrifying.
I hear Ceriana has been very badly affected too.
The motorway was closed so it was impossible to get to either France or Sanremo from Bordighera. The Via Aurelia was also closed by 2 big landslides so you couldn't go by car from Ospedaletti to Sanremo. The last one was only cleared yesterday I believe.
It's been pretty bad. Luckily in Apricale we've been fine although I understand one of the roads to Foa has been badly damaged.
The spa at Pigna was completely filled with mud and all the pools too. No idea how long that will take to clear - especially as it had just re-opened.
The river flooded in Dolceacqua but luckily not too badly so not much damage. The region is trying to get a state of natural calamity declared so they can access money from the government for repairs which will certainly run into millions.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:15 am

Horrendous! Can't believe, yet again, the lack of news on this here in the UK.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks for update Admin, glad to hear Apricale is ok.

SP64 is open again but for short periods due to potential landslides. 

The clean up in Pigna and Castel Vittorio will takes months apparently. The car parks are just mud baths.  Our friends had to clear their own road (road to Gouta) as they were told that there is no money available. They’ve been housebound for over a week, so no choice really but to hire tractors and other necessary equipment to remove the rubble from the provincial road.
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Nothing annoys me more than NOT getting any time on the BBC or SKY when disasters like this happen in Italy. It is in the backyard of the UK, but, when a few inches of snow lands in the USA, all kinds of coverage follows !

grrrrrr!

good luck to all those that are struggling,

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:07 pm

I have just read this most interesting article from Heather Jarman's blog http://www.sapori-e-saperi.com/?p=809&option=com_wordpress&Itemid=7
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by molinello Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:44 pm

I agree, a most interesting article.  We are driving out on Sunday to Piazza al Serchio, hope the roads up to our house, in fact the house itself, is ok.

molinello
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Carciofo Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Please report back to us molinello.  We head off in that general direction ourselves in a few weeks time and I'm wondering if we're going to need a 4x4

Carciofo
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:00 pm

Do hope everyone is ok there...

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:57 pm

I have been looking at weather forecasts for Lucca province. It keeps on raining, although not as heavily as it was a few days ago; however, temperatures are going to drop and snow may be expected.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:55 am

Well today the rain has stopped, and the Sun is out, but due to the cold we are expecting Snow above 250m on Wednesday. rendeer
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:22 pm

Following Flip's post, the Comune has now issued a weather alert Weather Alert Bagni di Lucca
Stay inside and keep warm!
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:06 pm

I believe our area has had torrential rain for most of January but apparently not as bad as 2001 when cars belonging to Pigna residents were found in the river near Dolceaqua  Shocked
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:39 am

It hasn't been for most of January really - just 5 days but combined with the torrential rain at Christmas (again for a few days) the ground was soaked so couldn't absorb any more. Snow now all around us but not in Apricale.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:01 pm

A big bowl of hot peasant soup (throw into the pot anything edible that you have around) and a cup of hot chocolate and you will feel much better...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by L'uomodellaluna Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:53 pm

Not sure I like the sound of your peasant soup - where do you get your peasants?

8o(
L'uomodellaluna
L'uomodellaluna
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:04 pm

I've seen quite a bit about the appalling weather that you are having to deal with up there .

The very best of luck, I'm sorry to say that the weather back here (where you were a year or so ago ?) is staggeringly GOOD !

Don't know what's going on !

Again, good luck,

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:28 pm

L'uomodellaluna wrote:Not sure I like the sound of your peasant soup - where do you get your peasants?8o(

I know you are kidding... but, just in case, "peasant style" soup or stews consist of chunks of vegetables and meat (for rich peasants only) boiled together and served with thick slices of bread. Typical confort food. There are quite a lot of recipes for Italian and Tuscan peasant food if you google those words.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:05 pm

Admin wrote:It hasn't been for most of January really - just 5 days but combined with the torrential rain at Christmas (again for a few days) the ground was soaked so couldn't absorb any more. Snow now all around us but not in Apricale.

It seems as if the weather is very local as our friends who live about 3 km from Pigna have certainly had more than just five days of rain. We had a hail storm in Pigna last summer and our son & his girlfriend were sunning themselves on the beach in Ventimiglia with not even a cloud in the sky Surprised 

It snowed here today...
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:07 am

It seems you need to be careful about where you build your house in Italy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2547882/Watch-amazing-footage-destruction-wreaked-rockfall.html
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:00 pm

There is a simple solution: buy a 400 year old building, which stands on bedrock and away from possible landslide areas, with 2 feet stone walls, change the windows to double-glazed PVC, improve insulation, add modern conveniences and you will not have too many worries. Of course, there is still the chance of a meteor... Very Happy 
We did it, and there are quite a few properties in Italy that should fit the description. It takes time to find them, though.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casa Monal Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:43 pm

I believe there’s been a lot of rain, landslides etc again in the Nervia valley. Poor old Pigna was cut off again, thankfully not for long.  More temporary traffic lights in place…when oh when will the authorities realise that short term solutions cost more in the end  Twisted Evil
Casa Monal
Casa Monal
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by la alma Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:11 pm

There has been terrible flooding and many landslides again in the last few weeks in Liguria and northern Tuscany at least, and many schools closed for days. I regularly look at the Nazione newspaper site for La Spezia, Sarzana + Massa Carrara. I think the rain has stopped for the moment but is likely to return. People have been killed in Genoa and Tuscany. All the damage has created a crisis. It seems to be getting more and more common in that area. I'm surprised that no-one living in that area has mentioned it on the forum. I hope no-one is experiencing too much hardship. By the way, the forum seemed to disappear for several days recently, or is it just my computer?

la alma
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next