The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internet Via Satellite Connection

+8
Flip
Admin
modicasa
mlinsin
casa del campanile
stevegwmonkseaton
Vicino
pas55
12 posters

Go down

Internet Via Satellite Connection Empty Internet Via Satellite Connection

Post by pas55 Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:51 pm

Just wondered if any of you guy's are receiving your connection via satellite.Any pro's & con's.I'm thinking of going down this route.

Cheers Paul
pas55
pas55
Elder

Back to top Go down

Internet Via Satellite Connection Empty Re: Internet Via Satellite Connection

Post by Vicino Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi Paul,

Not sure where you are, here in Le Marche I have used Fidoka for wireless connectivity (currently 7mb d/l, 1mb u/l) for some 6 years now which I would rate some 8/9 out of 10. Satellite connectivity is said to be getting better all the time but................can be expensive, more importantly, it tends to have strict limits on data download volumes within any given month.

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:20 pm

pas55 wrote:Just wondered if any of you guy's are receiving your connection via satellite.Any pro's & con's.I'm thinking of going down this route.Cheers Paul

Hi Paul, like "V" said it's expensive. However after a previous post on here (which may have now been deleted) I did look at the site of the person trying to sell it... and it was £20-30 per month cheaper than around 3-6 months ago when I last checked the same site, so it is getting a lot cheaper (was around £45-50 per month). I would look at the other options if you can, it may well be cheaper in the medium to long term to look at wireless boosters or even masts to get a better line of site. I know there was at least one company (conneti or something like that) where we were that would register peoples interest and if there became enough people would look to provide access for you.

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Internet Via Satellite Connection Empty Internet Via Satellite Connection

Post by casa del campanile Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:08 pm

Tried satellite some years ago. Switched to Wi-Fi here in Lunigiana
(http://www.wifi-communication.com) a few years ago and have been more than satisfied with the service and pricing. Not sure how far out geographically they extend now, however they have been adding services and are currently advertising some new services beginning Feb. 1.

Fred
casa del campanile
casa del campanile
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by mlinsin Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi all,
we are finishing our restored farmhouse house now and the question of Internet comes up.
TIM checked our house site and apparently the TIM box is on the other side of the street.
We are advised to think about Satellite so I have a few questions here.

1. How hard is it to get TIM to dig up the street and put a line in? We just had to go through this for ENEL gas and while it takes about 2-3 months to get the OK from the province (the street is SR71), we at the end got it.

2. TIM says we could also ask neighbors to put a pole on their property to put the wires over the street but this could for obvious reasons a tricky process ....

3. How good and stable is Satellite.
Does anyone have experience with OpenSky?
Are there other (maybe better and more cost effective) providers in the Umbria area?

thanks
Markus
mlinsin
mlinsin
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:39 pm

What is your 4G reception like? There are so many good 4G deals around now that if I didn't need a landline for one particular aspect of my work I wouldn't have one and would just use mobiles. BTW I'm an IT consultant so I am a very heavy internet user. I get 40Gb with Vodafone for €26 a month.

Check who give the best reception in your area and see what they are offering and skip that landline.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:00 pm

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mlinsin Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:56 pm

thanks, but this is for a holiday home where we also rent the house so I need a constant Internet connection
mlinsin
mlinsin
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:06 pm

It is constant though. I have never used above 28Gb during the month and we use it for watching TV and I use it for work every day.

I think you'd struggle to use up 40GB to be honest. You have to weigh up which is better - 40Gb of superfast internet or unlimited clunky TIM. Our 4G modem is 10 times faster than our landline. If it runs out of Gb you can always top it up. It's cheaper than a landline too.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:07 am

mlinsin, as Penny says 4G can be good, but also look into [url=http://www.clouditalia.com/index.php/en/]CLOUDITALIA[/url] if they are in your region. We use Tooway through Europasat a satellite service very fast (26 mb/s download) but also very expensive (€99.95 /month for the 100GB service)
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:45 am

We had Tooway satellite in Puglia.  Always reliable and was worth it for that aspect.  However, limited usage is a massive issue if you have visitors.  We had visitors who could use a whole month's allowance up in a day, yet be unaware they were using their phones.  We had to give it up as even when it was just us using the internet without videos playing constantly was proving to be impossible.  I know we should have been able to block them playing but it never seemed to work.
The other problem with satellite is that if you are not there all the time your dish is liable to be stolen.  We used to take ours down when we weren't there.
We now have Linkem which is less reliable but we don't have to worry about how much we use.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:12 am

Just possibly changing from TIM to a wireless provider called Getby in our local area. Up to 20mb speed and not limited, so great for downloading films etc.
Tech is coming tomorrow afternoon to check coverage, so will update as to how things go!!
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicino Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Geo,

Fidoka might also be an option to consider, although I hear Getby are now very good after a rocky start

V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks V.
Will see what the guy says tomorrow. Our neighbour (German) recommended them and at just under 31.00 E per month for a 20mb unlimited supply it seems pretty good. The tower is in Smerillo from what I understand so a fairly direct line of sight. We will see how it comes out!!
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:44 pm

Update:
Due to some very high trees in the garden, we could not get direct line of sight for a very good signal. We will consider putting the receiver possibly on the highest part of the building, after the earthquake damage is repaired.
V, I dont think we would get a clear signal with Fidoka, as we are quite some way from San Ginesio
Geotherm
Geotherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanessa_Hessler Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Stavo usando dati cellulari su Samsung. Ma pochi giorni fa il mio telefono mostra un problema di rete lenta. quale telefono dovrei usare ??
Vanessa_Hessler
Vanessa_Hessler

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 pm

Casa Ghiro is in a remote rural location which has many advantages.  However 'communication' is not one of them.  We're lucky to get any mobile phone signal and can only dream of 4G.  Also we don't have a landline.

Currently we get our internet through Clouditalia.  We have an antenna which, by direct line of sight, picks up a signal from some 10-15 kilometres away.  I pay €25/month supposedly for 7 mb/s download speed.  In reality we're lucky to get 1-2 mb/s which makes streaming TV a frustrating challenge.  Despite repeated complaints our local CloudItalia office are either unable or unwilling to improve the situation.

Which leads me to satellite internet.  As much of the previous discussion here was 2014 I'm wondering whether anyone has up to date positive experience/advice they can share with me?
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum