The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tax on interest in Italian bank accounts

5 posters

Go down

Tax on interest in Italian bank accounts Empty Tax on interest in Italian bank accounts

Post by Neil D Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:36 pm

I have migrated here from another Italian forum which shall remain nameless and I apologise for the fact that my first post here is a purely self-interested one but here goes.

My understanding of the double taxation agreement for UK residents is that you don't pay tax twice on the same asset.  My problem is I am not sure what the rate of tax is on interest on accounts earned in Italy.  I read somewhere on the web that it is either 12.5% or 20%.  If it is the latter, then there should be no more UK tax to pay for me as a basic rate taxpayer.  I am assuming that the reference to 'capitalizz. competenze' is interest paid and that it is already net of Italian tax but how much is that tax?
Neil D
Neil D
Elder

Back to top Go down

Tax on interest in Italian bank accounts Empty Re: Tax on interest in Italian bank accounts

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:30 pm

Get off Neil, you can't come on here with such a complex question...Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

Only kidding, but you are still not getting an answer as I don't know.... But sure someone on here will know. Welcome to a much better forum....

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Tax on interest in Italian bank accounts Empty Re: Tax on interest in Italian bank accounts

Post by Neil D Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:34 pm

I know it's not very stimulating and I don't intend to do much posting on this thread if I can help it...
Neil D
Neil D
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:40 pm

... sorry Neil... now a serious answer, me thinks 20% if our statement is anything to go by (and my calc is correct)

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:48 pm

Earning interest on an Italian bank account?  In my dreams! Smile
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:26 am

Exactly.  A current account in Italy will earn you - 0.05% interest, which once you have pid your bollo and bank charges will leave you with a healthy debit - which you can probably offset against your tax due.

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:08 am

Well it would appear these pay 2% BancoPostaClick LINKMind you some may not class it as a bank... Very Happy Very Happy

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by modicasa Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:33 am

So 2% lordo, on 10 grand will get you 200 a year before tax and bollo.   Which will mean 120 or 70 in your pocket depending on your tax bracket.  It doesn't make my pulse race as an investment!

modicasa
Elder

http://www.modicasa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:01 am

I agree Modi, but then again, that's a fair few litres of wine and better in your pocket than not... Also it's a current a/c for which in the UK you will likely get nothing...!

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil D Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:13 am

ghiro wrote:Earning interest on an Italian bank account?  In my dreams! Smile
It's not a current account - it's a savings account which pays a princely 0.5%...I would rather it paid no interest at all and then I wouldn't have this hassle but it's cheaper than having a current account with all its attendant charges.
Neil D
Neil D
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:40 am

I would say... change the account to one that will pay no interest. It is more of a nuissance and the low interest does not justify all the trouble it causes.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down