The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing the display order of posts

+6
Panner
Geotherm
Chillout
Miss Demeanor
Flying pigs
Admin
10 posters

Go down

Changing the display order of posts Empty Changing the display order of posts

Post by Admin Thu May 23, 2013 9:46 am

Hi, I am going to change the display order of the posts. At the minute it is showing oldest first and that is a bit irritating. If anyone feels strongly about leaving it as it is - shout.

Penny
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Changing the display order of posts Empty Re: Changing the display order of posts

Post by Flying pigs Thu May 23, 2013 10:08 am

That's great - I've been wondering how to do it.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Changing the display order of posts Empty Re: Changing the display order of posts

Post by Miss Demeanor Thu May 23, 2013 10:32 am

I'm shouting! Doesn't make sense to read the newest post first if it is your first time reading the thread.
Miss Demeanor
Miss Demeanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chillout Thu May 23, 2013 10:45 am

I agree with Miss D,

It makes more sense to start from the top with original post and then scroll down to read further posts.

Chillout
Contributor

http://tuttoitaly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotherm Thu May 23, 2013 10:54 am

Think the original should still be first as well, as that is the topic. Easy enough to page down on the answers.
Geotherm
Geotherm

http://www.geotherm.it

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu May 23, 2013 11:06 am

But what if it's not the first time you are reading the thread? What if you want to read the additional comments people have made? Afterall you will only read the thread for the first time once but will read the additional comments potentially many times....
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Panner Thu May 23, 2013 3:09 pm

I must admit that I find it easier to scroll down from the original post to the last one I read and then continue reading rather than having to scroll down through the new posts to find the last one, otherwise I end up reading newer posts out of order

Panner
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying pigs Thu May 23, 2013 4:03 pm

I guess it depends on how often you access the forum. Is it possible to personalise your view? It used to be on the old forum and I know I saw the latest posting first if I logged in but if I didn't log in (on different computer and forgot log in details) so was a visitor I had to trawl through to the latest posting and quite often didn't bother.

When in Italy my internet connection is too slow to warrant paging through to the latest posting unless it is something particularly pertinent.

Flying pigs

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Thu May 23, 2013 4:29 pm

This forum is a much better layout and far easier to use, but OMG, something the "other" place did better, original post then the page you were up to (well it sometimes worked)... I personally don't mind, but think latest is a bit better than going through the whole lot time after time... Smile

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Sat May 25, 2013 11:29 am

Very confusing having the first Post at the end, makes following a thread a bit difficult. Would much rather have First Post first then scroll down to see the following posts.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Changing the display order of posts Empty Admin needs to ferret about in settings

Post by The Original Relaxed Sat May 25, 2013 1:14 pm

It looks to me from the phpbb.com site that the User Control Panel (Profile?) should make it possible for individual forum users to choose the post-order option for themselves. I agree that a user can't do this at the moment on this forum, but maybe only because there is box unchecked in in the Admin Control Panel?

A way to get to the latest posts in a thread you are following is to use a link called actions (to the right hand side of a displayed thread post list) which offers to show you the posts since your last visit - much the same facility as listing posts newest one first.
The Original Relaxed
The Original Relaxed
Elder

Back to top Go down

Changing the display order of posts Empty Sounds a good one to look at...

Post by stevegwmonkseaton Sat May 25, 2013 2:04 pm

The Original Relaxed wrote:It looks to me from the phpbb.com site that the User Control Panel (Profile?) should make it possible for individual forum users to choose the post-order option for themselves. I agree that a user can't do this at the moment on this forum, but maybe only because there is box unchecked in in the Admin Control Panel?

A way to get to the latest posts in a thread you are following is to use a link called actions (to the right hand side of a displayed thread post list) which offers to show you the posts since your last visit - much the same facility as listing posts newest one first.

Sounds a good one to look at because I think a lot of people will not want to trawl through the same posts time and time again, but looks like some would ! Nice to see you here Lax... Very Happy

stevegwmonkseaton
Elder

Back to top Go down

Changing the display order of posts Empty I'm getting to it.....

Post by Admin Sun May 26, 2013 1:05 pm

....Admin is in her hols for 2 weeks so bear with me flower

When I get back I'll have a good ferret around on the usability front to see if I can display the original post at the top and find a nicer picture than the Italian flag. I've also been asked for more smilies. Piano piano as we say Wink I wanted to get it up and running first and foremost as I didn't know if anyone would join.

The result of the poll is that I will be switching it back to oldest post first.

Thanks to those that commented or voted.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Sun May 26, 2013 4:42 pm

If you can put the Original Post fixed at the top that would be great it really doesn't matter to me if I scroll through old posts or have the latest post from the top, but ity's good to know what we are commenting on firstly rather than trawl through a load of bumf to get to the question.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Changing the display order of posts Empty Its votes that count !

Post by Vicino Sun May 26, 2013 5:01 pm

I totally agree with going along with the votes. I am new here so consequently resisted the urge to make suggestions other than just to vote. I just logged in and saw a comment from Flip a few minutes ago, I have been following the progress but to get to the most recent comment, I had to scroll through all the others that I had already read. This is fine when there only a few, but a hot topic might have pages of comments ?
I can easily cope with whatever and I think it is great that our views are being considered.
V
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Demeanor Sun May 26, 2013 6:54 pm

There should be a "button" somewhere on the forum setup that allows you to view "new posts" within a thread. I don't mean the one that is already there on the front page that shows you "new posts since your last visit"
Miss Demeanor
Miss Demeanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down