The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Round up

+2
alan h
Gala Placidia
6 posters

Go down

Round up  Empty Round up

Post by Angela Fuller Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:37 pm

I called into my local consorzio to buy some herbicide today.  I knew Italy was thinking of banning  products including glyphosate but did not realise the ban had happened.  I was told I could only purchase 1ltr a year and needed to fill in a form, name, address, dob, etc.  I do agree the use of chemicals should be kept to a minimum whenever possible so not a bad thing... Does anyone know if there is a similar product available that is less harmful to wildlife and does the job ?
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Round up  Empty Re: Round up

Post by Gala Placidia Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:06 am

You may like to have a look at these alternatives https://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_docs/programs/ipmnet/Vinegar-AnAlternativeToGlyphosate-UMD-Smith-Fiola-and-Gill.pdf
Or you could ask at the consorzio and find out what they recommend...
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:50 am

All the rules around all pesticides/herbicides have been tightened up in Italy. As farmers we have to go on a course to get a licence to buy and store them and the seller keeps a register. It is the same for fertilisers.

I suspect the rules will be the same for all chemical pesticides/herbicides & fertilisers you try to buy. Non-professional buyers can only buy in small quantities.

Organic products are unaffected.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alan h Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:53 am

Talk to your local farmer - he's probably got gallons of the stuff
alan h
alan h
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:42 am

alan h wrote:Talk to your local farmer - he's probably got gallons of the stuff

Yes alan h, I can see a Dell Boy thing about to happen...if you are a business, be it farming, gardening or building you can buy it in quantity and sell it on...!

Yes Admin, things have tightened up, I have a UK licence to allow me to buy chemicals and apply to mine and other peeps land but of course means nothing here, would need to go o another course !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:38 am

I believe you can only have the licence if you're a business or coltivatore diretto.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ghiro Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:46 am

We use 'Diserbante Totale' which seems to be as effective as Roundup.  It was bought at a nearby garden centre.  The only restriction was that you couldn't buy more than 4L at a time!
ghiro
ghiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:52 am

Thanks ghiro thats good to know.  I have not used Round up here before but have been given a glyphosate based weedkiller in the consorzio that has always worked well.   I was under the impression all glyphosate weedkillers were to be banned or restricted if not for professional use.  Am I wrong ?  BTW I did find the 'Diserbante Totale' in a store and was not asked to fill in form etc...all very confusing...maybe a good idea to stock up while you can ?
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by FBower Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:39 pm

Panicked a little after reading the above posts as I'd been meaning to buy Roundup in the UK before driving down but forgot. Went to Colibrico today and found it, although locked behind a glass front (which our garden centre does as well for anything toxic). Mind it was only a 1 litre ready mixed spray - not sure if you have a need for larger quantities.

FBower
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum