The Italy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What has happened ?

+2
Vicino
Angela Fuller
6 posters

Go down

What has happened ? Empty What has happened ?

Post by Angela Fuller Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:13 am

Strangly, this year the wisteria has produced very few flowers.   The sad case that I am, counted them every year when it started flowering, last year it produced 80 flowers, this year a measly 18 !  My neighbour normally has a bank full of orchids, this year only 3 !  Is it weather related ?  Is anyone else noticing a decline in flowering plants ?
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

What has happened ? Empty Re: What has happened ?

Post by Vicino Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:23 am

Our wisteria is also carrying fewer flowers than normal, but if you look around at other long standing displays (there is a porcelain shop in Servigliano for instance) they all seem very very well indeed (green with envy !).

My neighbours white orchids are well in bloom and if anything more so than in previous years.

ANY problems in my garden are almost caused by me !

V Sad
Vicino
Vicino
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Angie, here is some information which may help you with the wisteria http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/vines/wisteria/wisteria-blooming-problems.htm
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by Flip Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:26 pm

No such problems here our Wisteria is in full bloom probably more than last year, like wise Iris and assorted others. Probably weather and location based.
Flip
Flip
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:17 am

Thank you, Flip, Gala and Vicino.  I have read the article Gala and will go back to feeding the plant with phosphorus....root pruning does sound drastic and considering it was planted beside a pillar not an easy task.  The few flowers it has produced this year are all south facing, last year west, east and south.  I was wondering if birds had fed on the buds, maybe after the ants...have a few of them here !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:42 am

More depressing news, clematis montana usually full of flower at this time.....has NO flowers !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:10 am

Well Angie, it is becoming a bit of a puzzle, as the inability to flower is affecting more than one variety of plants in your garden. Clematis Montana is quite hardy, this explains everything Clematis; however, wisterias may need more care. As for your neighbour's orchids....
Obviously, there is nothing much that you can do at this stage and I do not know what the weather has been like in your area. The fact that the wisteria has only produced flowers on its south facing side could point in that direction (strong, cold winds blowing from the other directions over a prolonged winter period).
In any case, keep on what is going on in your neighbour's gardens, particularly those with the same aspect. And talk to the neighbour's, they always know best
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by pas55 Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:57 am

We are waiting for ours to flower we have grown it from seed from our UK plant which will soon be in bloom with white flowers
pas55
pas55
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:14 am

Hi Pas55, but I have heard a plant grown from a seed can take 12+yrs to bloom.....hopefully less for you....If you want flowers sooner you need a grafted plant....good luck !
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by pas55 Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:14 am

Hi Angela well it's been 4 years since we planted not really worried how long it takes.I'm amazed how qiuckly things grow over here,now over 9 metres tall
pas55
pas55
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:09 am

Gala, It is all very strange....What do you think of my theory of possibly birds after the buds / ants....then there is the bloomin cat, 'Ms Jaffa', she does do a trapeze act on it to get up onto the roof !  As forr the clematis I will I think cut it back severely, neighbours orchid bank may be due to someone strimming at the wrong time last year....not been strimmed this year.  Pas55, I would recommend cutting your wisteria back to stop it putting all its energy into putting on growth that will just produce leaves.....
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gala Placidia Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:24 am

Predators are always a possibility, Angie; however, and because the sauté facing part of the wisteria had flowers, I am more inclined to blame weather conditions.
Gala Placidia
Gala Placidia

Back to top Go down

Post by pas55 Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:37 am

Yes I've given it a good prune this year
Angela Fuller wrote:Gala, It is all very strange....What do you think of my theory of possibly birds after the buds / ants....then there is the bloomin cat, 'Ms Jaffa', she does do a trapeze act on it to get up onto the roof !  As forr the clematis I will I think cut it back severely, neighbours orchid bank may be due to someone strimming at the wrong time last year....not been strimmed this year.  Pas55, I would recommend cutting your wisteria back to stop it putting all its energy into putting on growth that will just produce leaves.....
pas55
pas55
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Duchessa Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:43 pm

Angela Fuller wrote:Hi Pas55, but I have heard a plant grown from a seed can take 12+yrs to bloom.....hopefully less for you....If you want flowers sooner you need a grafted plant....good luck !

Our wisteria, grown from seed four years ago has just produced it's first bloom! Very happy but short lived...

The Duchessa
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Fuller Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:17 pm

Jo, well done you..... a flower, even if for a brief time is an achievment, Pas 55 you never know........!
Angela Fuller
Angela Fuller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum